Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

Connell
New User

May 9, 2007, 1:29 PM

Post #1 of 1 (27316 views)
Shortcut
Mahler - Ave Maria Can't Post

New Arrangement of the Adagietto from Mahler's Symphony No.5 for double SATB choir and Harp/Piano

For years I have always thought that this famous piece of music would work as an Ave Maria. After hearing Elgar's Nimrod and Barber's Adagio for Strings enter the main stream choral repertoire. I set to work this year to create this new arrangement.

The transcription is for double SATB choir with harp. Of course many choirs don't use harp and therefore it would be quite practical to use piano instead.

Needless to say this transcription is not for the faint hearted but neither are the Elgar or Barber already mentioned. Needless to say you need good sopranos (top Cb) and good second basses (low D). The transcription is note for note based on Mahler's original. One section has been taken down the octave and just one note is changed from a crochet to two quavers just to fit two syllables in.

I have tried this work through with a couple of choirs and it works very well. However the work has not had a first performance yet. As such it has already attracted attention of two publishing houses both based in Vienna.

At the moment this arrangement is available on www.sibeliusmusic.com Just search for the work under my name (Adrian Connell). If you would like a copy of this work then you can also contact me through this forum. This will make a good repertoire piece for choirs and obviously due to it's famous use in the film Death in Venice most audiences will instantly recognise this work.

Thanks for reading this.

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum