Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

Nick Steinitz
New User

Dec 7, 2008, 11:57 PM

Post #1 of 1 (24938 views)
Shortcut
Parry's The Glories of our Blood and State Can't Post

To any choirs interested in the music of C H H Parry: I have just produced (and used successfully in performance) a new set of orchestral parts of Parry's setting for 4-part chorus and orchestra of James Shirley's funeral ode: The Glories of our Blood and State. The parts have been typeset using Sibelius and I am happy to hire them for a modest sum to anyone wishing to perform the work. Scoring is 2222/4231,Timp, plus strings. This beautiful short piece (it lasts about 8 minutes) was composed for the Three Choirs Festival in 1883 and helped to establish Parry's reputation as an important composer. The theme is the insubstantial and short-lived nature of earthly power and glory. The opening line "The Glories of our blood and state" goes on "are shadows, not substantial things; There is no armour against fate; Death lays his icy hand on kings: sceptre and crown must tumble down, and in the dust be equal made with the poor crooked scythe and spade." It appears that the original orchestral material was destroyed when the publisher was taken over some 20 years ago and I have been unable to trace any other source, but fortunately the full score survives. Anyone interested in hiring these orchestral parts should contact me, Nick Steinitz, direct on 07946 014365 or by email: nicksteinitz@f2s.com I also have a small stock of vocal scores for hire, but the full score and vocal scores are now published by Chiltern Music, King Charles Cottage, Racton, Chichester PO18 9DT.

(This post was edited by Nick Steinitz on Dec 8, 2008, 12:18 AM)

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum