Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

jburger1
New User

Jan 10, 2009, 4:24 PM

Post #1 of 1 (22550 views)
Shortcut
Sought: two madrigals by Luca Marenzio Can't Post

At the present I am finishing an edition of the Complete Works of Joachim van den Hove, a Dutch lutenist living and working in Leiden most of his life (1567-1620). In two of his publications, Florida (1601) and Delitiae Musicae (1612) he included settings for lute of almost a hundred vocal compositions, mainly Italian madrigals.

In editing these intavolations by Van den Hove, I naturally need to study the vocal orginals. In many cases I have been able to find these works, although many are not available in modern editions. But even when there are modern editions, I have not been able to find all of the pieces. Still missing are two works in this category, both by Luca Marenzio; the editions concerned are simply not to be found in Dutch libraries.

These two madrigals are:

Luca Marenzio, O bella man che mi distringi il core / Candido leggiadretto (seconda parte), madrigal à 4.
Printed in: Marenzio, Madrigali à 4 (Rome, 1585), reprinted several times, also in Madrigali a quattro voci di Luca Marenzio (Antwerp, 1607).
Modern editions should be in Luca Marenzio, The Complete Four Voice Madrigals, ed. J. Steele (New York, 1995), and in Luca Marenzio, Madrigali a quatro voci: Libro primo (1585), ed. A. Iesuè, F. Luisi and A. Tecardi (Rome, 1983).

Luca Marenzio, Basti fin qui le pen’e i duri affanni, madrigal à 10.
Printed in: Di Luca Marenzio Madrigali a quatro, cinque et sei voci (Venice, 1588; repr. Nuremberg 1589), reprinted in Di Luca Marenzio – – – Madrigali a sei voci (Antwerp, 1594).
Modern edition: Luca Marenzio, Madrigali a quattro, cinque e sei voci, libro primo (1588), vol. 7, The Secular Works, ed. Steven Ledbetter and Patricia Myers (New York, 1977).

My question is: can somebody help me and send me the music of one or both of these madrigals? Again I would like to stress that it is for study only, so that no copy rights will be infringed.

Best wishes,
Jan Burgers, Amsterdam.

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum