Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

frank
New User

Apr 1, 2004, 1:03 PM

Post #1 of 1 (8379 views)
Shortcut
Georgian polyphonic singing workshops Can't Post

Dear singers, I am the director of two vocal ensembles based in Paris, France (one men's chorus and one women's chorus) that sing traditional polyphonic songs from the Republic of Georgia. This has been my big musical passion for the past twenty years now. Over the past few years I have started offering workshops for groups with other repertoires, sometimes different kinds of folk music (Bulgarian, Russian, etc.) or even classical music. The purpose of these workshops is to give people an experience of singing Georgian songs, which I think can be of interest to all lovers of complex polyphony, and also to show people that there is an "implicit" technique behind this singing. When I say implicit I mean that Georgian folk singers never talk about voice production, placement, intonation, etc., they don't even have words for most of these phenomena. The attentive listener with some knowledge of the voice quickly realises however that there is a real logic in what they do. Part of my work of the past ten years has been to formalise the elements of this system and to present them to my choruses and then to other groups to see what the techniques and ideas behind Georgian singing can bring to people who sing other repertoires. They usually find that the Georgian notions of use of the vocal mechanism, vocal placement, and singing in a way that "supports" the one parts adds an interesting dimension to their singing. I will be doing a week-long voice workshop near Findhorn from April 24 to May 1. Before and after than I am available to do shorter workshops (a day or an evening for example) for other groups that are interested in discovering this approach. If you think that this might be of interest to your chorus or other groups that you are aware of in Great Britain, please let me know and I will be happy to discuss the possibility further. I will be back in Britain again for a workshop in Shropshire in October and possibly before that to work with a group in Nottingham so there will undoubtedly be other possibilities in the future. With best regards, Frank Kane 10 rue Brise Echalas 93200 Saint-Denis, FRANCE Telephone: 33-1-42.43.27.66 Fax: 33-1-42.43.05.98 E-mail: frank.kane@tiscali.fr

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum