Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

philipt
New User

May 3, 2004, 6:06 PM

Post #1 of 3 (37392 views)
Shortcut
Choirs for weddings Can't Post

Does anyone know anything about choral music, and the booking of choirs, for secular weddings? There doesn't as yet seem to be much on offer in this area - yet people spend small fortunes on their weddings, and might be persuaded to pay for a choir to add an extra dimension to the ceremony. It might be a useful means of fundraising - but how to start?
Philip Talmage, Web Correspondent
Jubilate Choir

chris2806
Novice

May 8, 2004, 7:42 AM

Post #2 of 3 (37333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philipt] Choirs for weddings [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Philip,

I suppose like any walk in life, the best way to make it happen is to do it yourself. Its a thought that has crossed my mind, as we sing occasional ones here in Cullercoats.

The best route is probably to contact the secular venues, hotels etc that hold weddings, arrange an appropriate fee (to which they will add their mark up) and produce a short leaflet for them to give to prospective brides.

I think we may try it here as well!!

Chris

keiths
Novice

Sep 14, 2004, 11:50 AM

Post #3 of 3 (36108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris2806] Choirs for weddings [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a few months since you posted your question so apologies if you have got beyond the stage of seeking views. My choir ( www.newsussexsingers.org.uk ) discovered some while ago that singing at weddings is a good way of raising much-needed revenue and, over the past 12 months or so, has paid for a new high quality Yamaha stage piano and some good new music. We promote ourselves for weddings in several ways - via our web site, sending brochures to wedding venues (churches and secular venues). We also have produced a CD from which we can send extracts of appropriate music although the number of times we sing "Jerusalem" at weddings is astonishing - it is surprising what choices people make! We charge a fee usually of at least £150 depending on the circumstances, which is separate from the organist/pianist fee. It is important to make clear (preferably in writing) that this fee does not cover recordings of the wedding music for which we would charge an extra fee (if we are going to be recorded for posterity - warts and all - we feel that additional fee is justified). Similarly, make sure that any recording made is for private use only otherwise Performing Rights issues arise. One downside of wedding-singing is that it monopolises a Saturday, can interfere with rehearsals for more musically satisfying perfromances, and can exclude some members of the choir because of work, family commitments. We are a 16-voice group and usually aim for an ensemble of 10 as a minimum for a wedding.

Hope this helps (albeit belatedly).

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum