gerontius home page Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Choirs and Choral Music: General discussion:
NOrmal protocol for accompanist for choir?
Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

weething
New User

Sep 7, 2010, 8:57 PM

Post #1 of 3 (57728 views)
Shortcut
NOrmal protocol for accompanist for choir? Can't Post

Hi,

I have posted elsewhere about our new choir starting up, and was wondering if someone could tell me what the normal practice is for the payment / non payment of the accompanist. We haven't got one yet, but I would certainly like one if the new choir is to get anywhere. I am the musical director and will be unpaid but is it expected to pay the pianist? Any advice / tips welcome please. It is a weekly 2 hour rehearsal (and we haven't got any money!)

hague161
Novice

Oct 29, 2010, 11:49 PM

Post #2 of 3 (52813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weething] NOrmal protocol for accompanist for choir? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry my friend that I don't have an answer for you as such. Merely an observation regarding the people who use this site. Your question is simple, a few of the nearly 5000 people who have read your question must have some helpful suggestions regarding reasonable rates etc. So why the stonewalling folks. Is anything regarding payment etc subject to the official secrets act. For goodness sake help a guy out and whilst you're at it help me with my related question posted yesterday re remuneration for choral directors. I think tho that if you need to pay an accompanist the amount will depend on a) how much money you can get from your members in subscriptions and b) how good the player is. I think a minimum is likely to be £20 per hour unless you can find someone who's well heeled with time on their hands who'll do it for love.

soulagents
Novice

Oct 30, 2010, 1:50 AM

Post #3 of 3 (52800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weething] NOrmal protocol for accompanist for choir? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi - I too have tried and failed to provoke a discussion on this board so I will endeavour to answer your question based on my own experience. I conduct three choirs and have accompanists for all three. I agree that the minimum should be at least £20 per hour but to be honest, most conductors don't get remunerated to that extent! Two of my accompanists get paid £20 per session (usually 2 hours) and one gets paid £1400 per annum (£700 every 6 months). I can't say whether that's the going rate or not and it really does depend on the choir's resources and the willingness of others to donate their time more cheaply for a worthwhile cause.

Incidentally I do charge for my own time and expertise. Whilst the money certainly comes in handy it's more important that the choir recognises your (professional) input and also helps attract the right calibre when the time comes for you to stand down. They're going to find it hard to replace you if they're not used to parting with money.

Most choirs are registered charities and charge their membership a subscription (I've personally known these to vary from £40 to £150 per annum) and together with ticket sales and fund-raising activities this should cover the costs of any professional fees paid to conductors, accompanists, orchestras and soloists depending on the size of the choir.

I hope this helps and I also hope that others will be along to add their experience to the mix.

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum