Rayburn Tours

bob morris
New User

Oct 24, 2010, 3:07 PM

Post #1 of 3 (44630 views)
Shortcut
PROPOSED NEW BOOK ON CHORAL SINGING Can't Post

PROPOSED NEW BOOK ON CHORAL SINGING

A Second Bass amateur singer, Bob Morris, currently with the Sherborne School Choral Society in Dorset, with concerts in the beautiful Sherborne Abbey, has been singing in Choral Societies and small rural Church choirs from age 16 to his present age of 79. Bob has enjoyed the pleasure and achievement of singing classical music so much that he is seeking to pass on some of this pleasure in an anecdotal way to other people, as an encouragement for them to start singing and continue as long as possible, in a new self-published paperback book "A Life in Choral Singing", due to be printed early in 2011. This illustrated book of around 60 pages will be offered nationally by Bob as a mail order at no profit to himself, with an estimated inclusive price of about £5. Any resulting net profit will become a donation to the Musicians' Benevolent Fund.

During his singing career, Bob has sung for about 11 years each with the Dedham Choral Society; the Cambridge Philharmonic Choir (with concerts in King's College Chapel); the Aldeburgh Festival Singers (under the batons of Benjamin Britten himself, and Imogen Holst, the great composer's daughter); the London Philharmonic Choir with concerts in the Royal Albert Hall, including Promenade Concerts, and the Royal Festival Hall (under such great conductors as Sir Georg Solti, Mstislav Rostropovitch and many others); the St. Edmundsbury Bach Choir, for which he arranged all their overseas concerts in France, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands, and sang in all the great East Anglian cathedrals; and Sherborne School Choral Society. One of Bob's Parish Church choirs was at Hadstock, near Saffron Walden in Essex, where, in 1967, he persuaded the Choral Scholars from King's College, Cambridge to give a fund-raising concert, which proved to be the first ever paying concert by the then yet-to-be-formed Kings Singers.

Details of the book will appear in another Gerontius Forum item a little later, including how to buy a copy, but if anyone would like to express interest in his initiative, without commitment, Bob's email address is bob@steelbreeze.net.

(This post was edited by bob morris on Oct 28, 2010, 1:16 PM)

bob morris
New User

Dec 11, 2010, 3:02 PM

Post #2 of 3 (43745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bob morris] PROPOSED NEW BOOK ON CHORAL SINGING [In reply to] Can't Post

FOLLOW-UP MESSAGE ON THE NEW BOOK "A LIFE IN CHORAL SINGING"

Thank you to the 850 respondents who viewed the first message 2 months ago (still displayed), and to the Gerontius website for allowing me to draw it to your attention.

The proof of the paperback book has now been read and passed to the Printer, who will produce a sample copy by mid-December 2010. The book will have 77 pages 23 illustrations and an attractive cover. It covers a continuous lifetime of choral singing from my teens to my present 80th year, in 6 small Parish Church Choirs and 5 Choral Societies, described in the form of the anecdores of a choir member. I hope that my enjoyment of amateur singing will encourage other people.

The book will cost £5 by mail order, including postage and packing, so there is no profit from sales for me, and once the set-up costs have been paid for by sales, any small later profit will become donations to the Musicians' Benevolent Fund.

To enable me to tell the Printer the size of his initial print run, would anyone wishing to buy a book please email me, as author/publisher, on bob@steelbreeze.net to reserve a copy, hopefully by Christmas 2010, stating the name and full address to which the book or books should be sent when available in January 2011. Please do not send money at this stage. When I know the extent of the copies required I will post a third notice on www.gerontius.net (Notice Board) to say how and where cheques should be sent. I will need 250 book orders to pay off the set-up costs, but will meet your requests, however many.

Thank you, again.

Bob Morris 10th December 2010

bob morris
New User

Dec 31, 2010, 4:07 PM

Post #3 of 3 (43033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bob morris] PROPOSED NEW BOOK ON CHORAL SINGING [In reply to] Can't Post

The proof of the new paperback book has now been approved, and the Printer will supply an initial 75 copies to myself on the 14th January 2011, with possibly more copies to be called off on request.

Anyone wishing to obtain a copy is requested to send a cheque for £5, payable to R.C. Morris and sent to The Duchy Barn, Churchfoot Lane, Hazelbury Bryan, Sturninster Newton, Dorset, DT10 2DS, giving details in the letter of the precise address to which the book is to be sent please.

If more than 75 are requested, please expect a lead time of 3 working weeks for more copies to be sent from the Printer.

The £5 includes packing and second-class postage within the UK. When the printing set-up costs have been covered, any resulting profit will become a donations to the Musicians’ Benevolent Fund.

If there are fewer than 75 requests, I am very happy to have written the book as it related to my very pleasant memories of a Lifetime of Choral Singing.

Thank you again,

Bob Morris 31st December 2010

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum