gerontius home page Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Choirs and Choral Music: General discussion:
OK so why don't Gerontius users reply to posts?
Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

hague161
Novice

Nov 2, 2010, 12:14 PM

Post #1 of 6 (73725 views)
Shortcut
OK so why don't Gerontius users reply to posts? Can't Post

I'm just being provocative here, I'd love to understand how a posted question can get 5000+ views and (if the poster is lucky) 3 or 4 replies. Why don't you like to reply, even if it's 'I don't know that answer, but it's a good question so I'll be looking again.' Come on you lovely people intelligent discourse can only be a good thing and it will make this forum a lot more meaningful than it is at the moment. So as I say, what's the problem?

CarolineLewis
Novice

Nov 2, 2010, 10:05 PM

Post #2 of 6 (73708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hague161] OK so why don't Gerontius users reply to posts? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good question - it makes me feel very unloved!
I am also puzzled by why, in a group of choir members, despite all being on email, only a few ever reply to direct and straight forward questions. Any ideas on this one hague161?

In Reply To

FullMonte
Novice

Nov 4, 2010, 11:59 AM

Post #3 of 6 (73640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hague161] OK so why don't Gerontius users reply to posts? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's tempting to think of Forums on the web as being like a friendly conversation with colleagues around the water cooler or down the local. There, someone may ask a question like: 'Oh, by the way, I'm having trouble with my choir wanting to sit down while singing. Should I let them? What do you guys think?'

Some people will immediately answer 'Definitely, yes' and others 'Definitely, no'. There'll be some shrugs, some yawns, and most people will not have an opinion either way but wait to see how the discussion grows before making their mind up. And there'll be some who couldn't care a less...

But on a Forum like this, who wants to wade through page after page of 'Yes', 'No' or 'Don't know?

You've been pretty busy during your 5-day membership, answering a lot of threads by merely haranguing readers to reply, but that's just as boring to read as 'I don't know' Frown Incidentally, I see that you have edited your first post here to tone down some of the offensive language you were using, thank you.

I agree with you that a good discussion makes great reading, but frankly, this Forum is more of a resource for people looking for new choir members or conductors or notices of Choral Concerts. For discussion, I hope Gerontius Mods won't mind me mentioning ChoralNet, which is understandably a bit US-centric, but has some great lucid discussions.

(This post was edited by FullMonte on Nov 4, 2010, 12:01 PM)

hague161
Novice

Nov 4, 2010, 12:11 PM

Post #4 of 6 (73636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FullMonte] OK so why don't Gerontius users reply to posts? [In reply to] Can't Post

So FullMonte I guess you are encouraging people not to ask questions. Just to advertise. Fine except that I notice this forum is called General discussion. And I'm not sure that I want US centric advice. I'd like to know what other people who are in similar positions to myself think about problems that I'm facing. You seem to have a pretty poor opinion of the abilities of Gerontius members to contribute to intelligent discussion. Finally we all have different opinions of offensive. I don't think that I have been offensive, merely provocative.

FullMonte
Novice

Nov 4, 2010, 12:58 PM

Post #5 of 6 (73627 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
So FullMonte I guess you are encouraging people not to ask questions. Just to advertise. ... You seem to have a pretty poor opinion of the abilities of Gerontius members to contribute to intelligent discussion....

Don't be ridiculous.

soulagents
Novice

Nov 4, 2010, 2:52 PM

Post #6 of 6 (73602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FullMonte] OK so why don't Gerontius users reply to posts? [In reply to] Can't Post

As it was my post that was used to demonstrate the point, the person who does want to trawl through the replies that say 'yes, no or maybe' is me because I was after help!! Wink I am however guilty of taking no more than a passing interest in other posts.

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum