Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

hague161
Novice

Nov 2, 2010, 7:06 PM

Post #1 of 3 (54494 views)
Shortcut
ISM Guidelines Can't Post

Looking at ads for singers/accompanists/directors I often see remuneration in line with ISM Guidelines. Can anyone tell me what these are and how they can be viewed. I've looked on the ISM site but I can't find it.

soulagents
Novice

Nov 3, 2010, 10:21 AM

Post #2 of 3 (54483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hague161] ISM Guidelines [In reply to] Can't Post

The ISM Members' Area is down at the moment so I can't send you a link but I've pasted what they publish on their 'free' pages below. Unfortunately I think you may be disappointed by what you find. It isn't a definitive table laying down parameters for fees (such as the MU may do) but merely a survey of what others may or may not charge. This is given in the form of 'some members charge 50 pence and others charge £5000 with the average being £3.50'. The survey was hardly comprehensive either with some questions only soliciting 7 responses.

My advice would be to continue asking around and checking choirs' own sites. Some societies post the minutes of their AGM and statement of account on their sites which might include the conducter's fee. In my experience it is the least affluent choirs who pay more to hold onto their assets!

Please continue to harangue us into contributing more. It can be a lonely existence sometimes for conductors and choristers alike (especially when we feel we're the only ones with a particular point of view!) and we all like to know that we're on the right track with how we approach various tasks. Anyway, here's the article:

Conductors of Amateur Music Societies

Concert fee

Sixteen conductors gave a fee per concert. Most of these charged between £170 and £750 with a midpoint of £387.

Annual fee

Seven conductors quoted annual fees. These ranged from £300 to £5,500 with an average of £2,242.

The remaining six did not specify whether they received a concert fee or annual fee but quoted a range from £350 to £6,000.

Weekly Rehearsal Fee

Of the 20 people who quoted a separate fee for weekly rehearsals, most charged between £45 and £100 per rehearsal, with a midpoint of £60.

hague161
Novice

Nov 3, 2010, 10:32 AM

Post #3 of 3 (54481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [soulagents] ISM Guidelines [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, I had found that, but bless you anyway. I just thought that as people said ISM guidelines; there must be some!

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum