Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

Tim
User

Sep 6, 2003, 6:24 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1292512 views)
Shortcut
About the gerontius forum Can't Post

Welcome to the gerontius forum! We hope the forum will allow singers, conductors and others involved in singing and choral music to exchange information and ideas.

You have to be a forum member before you can post messages. Becoming a member is free, quick and easy.

The forum has many advantages:

* You can opt to be notified by email if anyone replies to one of your messages.

* You can subscribe to forums and receive daily listings of any messages in those forums. (for example you might want to subscribe to the jobs forum).

* You can watch individual threads. When you watch a thread you receive an email whenever anyone adds a message to the thread.

* You can edit a message after you have posted it, so long as noone has replied to it!

If you are already a member of gerontius on behalf of your choir you will not be able to use your existing user name and password on the forum. You'll need to set up a separate user name and password for the forum.

Do tell other people in your choir about the forum and encourage them to join.

To join the forum, click on the "Home" link above, and follow the link to "Join the Forum". There's no charge and we won't shower you with emails!

Many thanks to the OUP music department for supporting the forum in 2004-5 and for Rayburn tours for sponsoring the forum from 2009 - 2012. We'd be pleased to hear from anyone interested in sponsoring the forum in 2013.

Enjoy! Cool

Tim

Tim

gerontius
http://www.gerontius.net

(This post was edited by admin on Nov 20, 2012, 8:58 AM)

hague161
Novice

Oct 29, 2010, 11:51 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1047876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] About the gerontius forum [In reply to] Can't Post

The only thing wrong with your forum is that your members seem to be allergic to replying. Where's the fun in unanswered questions? Why do you suppose this is?

hague161
Novice

Nov 1, 2010, 8:48 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1047582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hague161] About the gerontius forum [In reply to] Can't Post

Tim can you try to do something about your members unwillingness to participate in discussion on a discussion forum please? Try suspending operations for a while and see if that wakes people up! On a genuine discussion forum a suggestion such as this would provoke massive response. Let's see what happens shall we?

Tim
User

Nov 1, 2010, 9:07 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1047529 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I appreciate your concern. I've always taken the view that you can't force people to participate .... But I agree, it would be nice if people were more willing to post replies ....

Tim

gerontius
http://www.gerontius.net

roger_miller
Novice

Nov 2, 2010, 1:52 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1047146 views)
Shortcut

Those view numbers look suspiciously high to me Tim. Is there any way you can check whether they are being generated by real people?

I see the forums as being more like notice boards than discussion groups and it's the adverts for singing days etc that I'm mostly interested in. These don't involve a forum reply as I would contact the organising group directly.

Roger

hague161
Novice

Nov 2, 2010, 6:45 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1047123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roger_miller] About the gerontius forum [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, but look at the unPC advice post. Now that is a genuine question that lots of people might have a view on. Did you look at that one Roger (I bet you did) it's had 10k views and how many replies? 2 I think. You might have a point, maybe the views aren't genuine, although I don't know how they could be generated artificially or why anyone would want to.

Tim
User

Nov 2, 2010, 8:29 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1047114 views)
Shortcut

I think the views may be artificially high. The logs show that the google spider and other search engines spiders visit the site frequently, so I think some of the page views are caused by them. (A spider is a program which collects pages from websites so the content can be added to the search engine's index and used to provide search results).

Tim

hague161
Novice

Nov 2, 2010, 8:34 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1047113 views)
Shortcut

Now I see - Older and wiser - still maybe there's room for improvement.

jessicapatel123
New User

Oct 10, 2016, 11:17 AM

Post #9 of 9 (610259 views)
Shortcut

hello everyone i'm new user your website.

regards
jessica patel

(This post was edited by jessicapatel123 on Oct 10, 2016, 11:23 AM)

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum