Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

improvingsinger
New User

Mar 11, 2011, 10:48 PM

Post #1 of 2 (47812 views)
Shortcut
AUDITIONS FOR AMATEURS Can't Post

I started singing as an adult about 6 years ago so haven't any of the established background enjoyed by those who have sung from childhood.

My serious singing I date from an RSCM 1 day workshop in June 2009. Since then I have participated in quite a lot of singing days, charity singing events etc and have had an enormous amount of pleasure and hope made a worthwhile contribution.

I also sing regularly with a church choir and a west gallery choir, neither of whom audition. Recently I signed as a temporary member for a choral society and was faced with my first audition (they hadn't made this clear at the time I signed up but that's another story)

I found the experience frightening and frustrating as it seemed designed more to discover my deficiencies than my strengths. My careful preparation flew out of the window through sheer nerves. Needless to say, I wasn't accepted.

Does anyone have any practical advice on combating these exam nerves ?

And can anyone explain the need to audition amateur singers, given that most will exclude themselves (as I would) if they feel the music is beyond them ?

roger_miller
Novice

Mar 12, 2011, 10:19 AM

Post #2 of 2 (47768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [improvingsinger] AUDITIONS FOR AMATEURS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi improvingsinger,

Sorry to hear about your audition experiences.

You don't say whether you have ever had any individual lessons. That would be a way to become more confident about your capabilities. You'd also be able to prepare some pieces so you have a repertoire to draw on if you need something to sing at an audition.

Some choirs have auditions and some don't. Handled positively they can be a help, for example making sure that people are singing in the right voice part. Did you get any feedback after your audition as to what you needed to do to improve?

Above all, don't be discouraged. You should be commended for taking up singing as an adult. It's not an easy thing to do!

Roger

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum