gerontius home page Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Choirs and Choral Music: General discussion:
Trying to track down a piece of choral music - 'may peace love and harmony ever dwell with you'
Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

annaeh
New User

Nov 22, 2021, 4:49 PM

Post #1 of 5 (69433 views)
Shortcut
Trying to track down a piece of choral music - 'may peace love and harmony ever dwell with you' Can't Post

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to track down the choral score for a 'carol' my family has sung at Christmas all my life. Unfortunately as it has been passed down the generations, we have lost all the harmonies as we don't have the music.

I have searched the internet with no luck as unfortunately I believe the title to be 'We wish you a merry Christmas' and I only find the figgy pudding version everyone knows.

The version we sing is based on the line 'may peace love and harmony ever dwell with you'

If anyone knows anymore about it, please do let me know.

Many thanks in advance!

Carmen Singh
New User

Dec 7, 2021, 10:40 AM

Post #2 of 5 (68312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annaeh] Trying to track down a piece of choral music - 'may peace love and harmony ever dwell with you' [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume you're talking about this:

https://soundcloud.com/david-burbidge-430081620/we-wish-you-a-merry-christmas-soprano-tune

I don't know it, but it sounds to me like a West Gallery carol, so perhaps you could contact a few West Gallery choirs.

Carmen Singh
New User

Dec 7, 2021, 11:43 AM

Post #3 of 5 (68304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Carmen Singh] Trying to track down a piece of choral music - 'may peace love and harmony ever dwell with you' [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, if this is the right version, your best bet might be to contact the singer, who's also the organiser of this event:

https://naturalvoice.net/event/dent-folk-carols-festival

The text on the SoundCloud page reads as follows:

This carol is sung at the doors of cottages in the Yorkshire Dales village of Dent near where I live: "We wish you a merry Christmas, and a happy new year. May peace, love and harmony ever dwell with you."
We sing it in four part harmony.

annaeh
New User

Dec 7, 2021, 3:23 PM

Post #4 of 5 (68296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Carmen Singh] Trying to track down a piece of choral music - 'may peace love and harmony ever dwell with you' [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes this is the one I’m looking for! Thank you so much for the information I shall follow it up!Smile

annaeh
New User

Dec 7, 2021, 3:25 PM

Post #5 of 5 (68295 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for your suggestion and the details. I shall try contacting the singer.
Smile

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum