Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours

willgoss
Novice

Mar 30, 2005, 2:34 PM

Post #1 of 9 (90097 views)
Shortcut
Hummel Mass in C Can't Post

Does anyone have access to the vocal scores for this work. There have been various editions over the years but are all now out of print. The only ones that I know of are available for hire from Schott's agents here in the UK but they have to come from New Zealand. It was recently recorded out there and released on the Naxos Label.

Does anyone have access to a copy of the full score or has previously sung it? We need to have some idea as to the minimum resources required to put on a decent performance.

David Boarder
Novice

Mar 31, 2005, 9:59 AM

Post #2 of 9 (90084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [willgoss] Hummel Mass in C [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know the C mass but the Bb is quite a good piece ... optional wind and trumpet parts, works well with strings and organ. SATB and no soloists. Published by OUP lasts 35 minutes. if you get any information about the C mass please let me know. Good luck. David

willgoss
Novice

Jul 12, 2005, 2:22 PM

Post #3 of 9 (89574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [David Boarder] Hummel Mass in C [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly Since last posting have discovered further information about latest edition. The publishers are Artaria Publishers NZ - a New Zealand based company. They have a website. The full orchestral score is available direct from them but it is a bit pricey just now- about NZD230 (about £90). The full name being Hummel Missa Solemnis in C. The scoring is for SATB soli SATB Choir plus orchestra consisting of 2fl 2ob 2cl 2fag 2cor 2trbe timp 2vn va vc/b. We have been quoted hire costs of the scores of £2.50 per vocal score for two months hire plus £290 for the orchestral parts for one month and one performance via Schott.

MJWintersgill
New User

Jul 24, 2006, 4:27 PM

Post #4 of 9 (88981 views)
Shortcut

Did you follow up your search for the Hummel and obtain scores? Tewkesbury Choral Society, of which I am librarian, are hoping to perform it.

willgoss
Novice

Apr 4, 2007, 5:02 PM

Post #5 of 9 (88003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MJWintersgill] Hummel Mass in C [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

Sorry I have not replied before now but have not been able to access Gerontius for a while.

I am pleased to say that we did manage to perform the Hummel Misse Solemnis in C for our 60th Birthday concert in July 2006. We were fortunate that we were able to find a sponsor for the cost of hiring in the music from the publishers in New Zealand via Schott Music hire in London as we are only a smallish choir of 30 singers. They were virgin scores from New Zealand via Germany to London. The cost for the hire of 40 copies of the vocal score for 3 months and the hire of the orchestral scores for a month was around £350 - £400. It probably has gone up a little since but if you get in contact with them they are extremely helpful and should be able to quote you a price.

It was worth the effort to find the music as it really was a very enjoyable sing - not a lot of solo bits ( I think they get the Benedictus and part of the Agnus Dei) as there are some lovely tunes for the choir - and learnable in 11 weeks. It is a shame that it is not so readily available as it is a gem! We definitely want to do it again.

If you don't have Schotts contact details don't hesitate to get in touch. Our website is http://www.hanover-choir.org.uk and this should have our contact details.

I do hope you try this piece. The more that do may help to make it more readily available.

MJWintersgill
New User

Apr 5, 2007, 1:30 AM

Post #6 of 9 (87993 views)
Shortcut

We too are enjoying rehearsing the Hummel; our concert is in Tewkesbury Abbey on May 12th 2007. We eventually bought our scores from USA, (edited by Floreen, published by Kalmus) through Music Dynamics. There are some small differences compared with the NZ version on CD. After the concert about 70 of our members are selling their copies back at about half the price paid as I have a music library very interested in purchasing them (plus orchestral scores). So if you wish to do it again, or if there are others out there, there will be copies available for hire much more cheaply! Thanks for your encouragement.

willgoss
Novice

Apr 5, 2007, 4:00 PM

Post #7 of 9 (87984 views)
Shortcut

That's great news - could you let us know the music library who will have them once they have been sold to them.

With very best wishes for your concert on May 12th - the audience are in for a treat!

MJWintersgill
New User

May 18, 2007, 12:07 AM

Post #8 of 9 (87654 views)
Shortcut

The audience seemed to enjoy hearing the Hummel - and most of our choir enjoyed singing it, especially the sopranos who have several top Cs!
Next week, I am sending 75 choral scores repurchased from members plus the conductor's score and orchestral parts, all in the Kalmus edition, to Somerset County Music Library. The contact is Roger Taylor, Performing Arts Librarian, King George Street, Yeovil, Somerset, BA20 1PY.

musicmusic
New User

Jun 22, 2011, 6:36 PM

Post #9 of 9 (59167 views)
Shortcut

Have you ever tried the publishing service from Inter-Note? they will edit new editions of out-of-print music on demand! I tried it out for a Muffat work and they delivered a really high quality edition whithin a week or so. The adress is www.inter-note.com

Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum