gerontius home page Main Index MAIN
Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG

Home: Choirs and Choral Music: General discussion:
Licensing Act 2003
Forum sponsored by:
Rayburn Tours



May 21, 2006, 5:20 PM

Post #1 of 1 (13816 views)
Licensing Act 2003 Can't Post

Licensing Act 2003

Always knew this would cause problems! Has anyone had experiences with their local authority regarding the performance in an "unlicensed premises" (under the terms of the act) and the provision of a free glass of wine at the end?

For many years it has been a generally accepted practice that the provision of alcohol, provided there was no charge, was not an issue. The inference of what I am being told now is that, whilst I can perform live music in a church (a place of public worship, not requiring a licence - as negotiated by 'Making Music', I believe), if there is also the provision of any alcohol then an entertainment license under the terms of the 2003 act, must be applied for.

And if the premises is not a "place of public worship" and has not applied for a license in its own right and the entertainment is live (Morris dancers exempted!) then a temporary licence will be required anyway.

There are apparently various limitations as to the number of licences that can be applied for by an individual and for the numbers of temporary licences issued in respect of individual premises.

I suppose the moral is, if you want to avoid the formfilling and the £21 fee each event, make sure you only perform in an appropriately licenced premises, but I would welcome advice from any knowledgeable readers.

I could have sworn that a politician once said "education, education, education" - I didn't realise that my hearing had deteriorated so much and it was actually "legislation, legislation, legislation" that was being said!


Search for (options) Developed by Alberon Ltd, Oxford, UK using Gossamer Forum