London Youth Choir CONDUCTOR, LYC CAMBIATA BOYS’ CHOIR
London Youth Choir seeks a skilled and experienced choir leader who is passionate about boys’ singing. In 2019 LYC will establish a Cambiata Boys’ Choir, a new changing boys’ voices ensemble for boys aged 11-16 years who live in London. This choir will become a new part of the current pyramid structure of junior and training choirs, which presently works weekly with over 250 young singers from across London. The Cambiata Boys’ Choir will meet on Monday evenings, alongside our existing five choirs, at LYC’s rehearsal home, the City of London School for Boys.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
The ideal candidate will:
• have experience of working with boys’ changing voices
• possess a technical knowledge of the voice and how it develops through adolescence
• have the ability to make informed repertoire choices and be able to arrange music in a suitable way for changing boys’ voices
• be a keen advocate for the benefits of choral singing for young people
• have substantial experience of working with a diverse range of young people and training young voices to a high level
• be able to connect with and inspire young people to achieve quality performances
• be a talented musician in their own right, with high level choral conducting (or equivalent) qualifications
• be an excellent role model with knowledge of and experience in safeguarding and child protection
• Possess relevant DBS documentation and be willing to undergo a new check with LYC.
This is a freelance position, remunerated in line with Musician Union rates. The successful candidate must be available and committed to attend after school Monday rehearsals during term-time, from September 2019 onwards. Ideally they would also have the capacity to lead recruitment workshops and engage in our Aspire programme on a freelance basis.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV addressed for the attention of Rachel Staunton, Artistic Director, London Youth Choir, together with a statement (no more than 750 words) outlining why you would like be considered for this role and how you meet the core competencies described above. Please include the names and contact details of two referees.
Please email your application to: email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: Monday, 25 February at 12 noon
Shortlisted candidates contacted by: Monday, 4 March *
Interview and audition dates to be held at the City of London School: Monday 11 & Monday 18 March 2019
Official start: September 2019 *
Please note, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. We are unable to give feedback to unsuccessful candidates.